Friday 20 January 2012

Macross: Customised SDF-1















My customisation of the 1/3000 scale Matchbox release of SDF-1, TV version to movie version. The idea came after seeing the toy turning yellow. I had spent 3 nights on this project from stripping the stickers, unscrewing the parts, spraying, hand painting, and finally reapplying the stickers. I was a bit rush on this project cos I wanted to give the toy a change before this Chinese NewYear, therefore I wasn't completely satisfied due to some washy finishing. Nevertheless, in overall, the end result is better than the yellowing state and it kind of look pretty decent on display. I had used prime grey epoxy paint for the overall colour. Had then hand painted the command bridge with naval blue and yellow paint. Some of the old stickers had been repaired with double-sided tape before reapplying them. The new Macross stickers are from 1/60 Yamato valkyrie.

11 comments:

LEon said...

Good job bro. Look new. Maybe you can add some colors on it when you have more time.

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

Thanx bro! I will add more details to it when I'm more settled. Kind of feeling down lately. Nothing seems right happening to me recently. Still, I appreciate whatever that happens in life.

Ant Sized Man said...

Cool, thhe grey makes it look my DYRL? style.
Those last 2 photos are really sweet.

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

I thought so too... The overall grey makes it easier and close to the look in DYRL. When I have a the time, I will paint the corners on the foot beige.

bluedrakon said...

it is a great job considering the time you had to get it done in.

I love the miniatures and really adds to the figure as a whole.

on_o said...

Nice bro! Especially given the amount of stealth night works you had to do.

TOY ADDICT ZONE said...

Beyound words bro, thumbs up

chrismandesign said...

firstly, i really hope you will be fine soon pal... all of us have our ups and downs, and even the downs are necessary (but usually we don’t think so)... secondly, the paint job you did certainly gives this toy a new life and the matte finish is kinda more realistic =)

David John Shewsbury said...

wow... must be a nightmare doing all those stuff.... u r quite talented indeed...

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

>> bluedrakon
Thx bro, the time was pressing then. I really luv those miniatures even though the scale ain't right.

>> on_o
Ha! Ha! Gotten work within my boundary when doing illegal nite works. Lolz...

>> TOY ADDICT ZONE
Thx bro! Your comment is invaluable!

>> chrismandesign
Appreciate those words of encouragement. I'm trying to be a better man keeping low profile. Indeed, I'm glad that this SDF-1 is given a new life before the new year.

Mark said...

Getting ready to do this to mine, too; any tips/tricks for disassembly, or did yo find it to be pretty straightforward?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...